Saturday, February 28, 2009

Thank You to Coach Schuessler Ware

From: Bob Stewart
Date: 2/28/09
Re: Job well done

Congratulations to you, Schuessler Ware, Coach of Anniston High School's boys basketball team. In winning the 2009 State Championship you and your team have done a wonderful thing for AHS and the town of Anniston. As a former resident of Anniston I can say I'm really proud.


[source: Anniston Star]


[source: Anniston Star]


[source: Anniston Star]

I don't recall ever meeting you the one year I attended Anniston High School (1973-74]. I was just a junior that year and certainly not involved in athletics. My recollection of that year was that it was the first year Anniston and Cobb High Schools were united as Anniston High School. The football team had a great season, which got the newly combined school off to a good start. And the basketball team you were on were "County Champions."

I scanned a photo of Coach Ware from the Hourglass yearbook. Here he is as a player on the 1973-74 basketball team for the AHS Bulldogs. I don't know why I never attended a game that year... Too bad. In any case, next time I've visiting my family in Anniston during basketball season I can't wait to take in a game and celebrate your state championship.


[source: AHS Hourglass yearbook, 1973-74]

No comments: